Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
On Saturday, 26 November 2005 at 20:25:58 -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

I've had both Dell and ThinkPad (no longer IBM).  I prefer Dell,
despite their attempts to convince me otherwise.

However, we currently seem to have significant ACPI problems with Dell
laptops.  I'm writing this on an Inspiron 6000 running 7-CURRENT, but
the same problems occur with 6.0: if I enable ACPI, timing goes to
hell, and some things just time out.  There was a similar message a
couple of days ago from an owner of (I think) the latest Latitude
machine, which sounded even worse.  My requests for feedback about how
to solve the problem have so far not been resolved.  If you're
otherwise tending towards Dell, I'd suggest you watch this space until
there's some indication that the problems will be resolved.

Which scheduler are you using?

The standard (ULE).  I don't think the problem's related to the
scheduler: it shows all the signs of being an interrupt space problem.

Fine - I'm just offering the parts that I recall working around it for me - if you are unwilling to at least try it, maybe someone else can and report back so we know if it is or isn't related.

Also, have you tried disabling apic?

I think you mean ACPI.  This machine doesn't have an APIC.

No, I meant apic. I realize it doesn't have one, but did you try disabling it?

To answer the presumed question: Yes, as I said above, the problems
only occur when I enable ACPI.

Since then I've also discovered that the builtin wireless card doesn't
work either.  It's:

  iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG> mem 0xdfcfd000-0xdfcfdfff irq 10 at
device 3.0 on pci3
  iwi0: Ethernet address: 00:13:ce:46:28:49

After downloading the firmware, I can set IP addresses and such, but
I always get "no carrier":

  iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:13:ce:46:28:49
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
        status: no carrier
        ssid "" channel 1 (2412)
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF deftxkey UNDEF powersavemode OFF
        powersavesleep 100 txpowmax 100 txpower 100 rtsthreshold 2346
        fragthreshold 2346 -pureg protmode CTS -wme roaming AUTO bintval 0

When I run dhclient on the interface, I get:

  DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
  DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
  send_packet: Network is down

On the console I get the detailed error message:

  iwi0: fatal error

This machine also has Linux on it, and the card works fine with Linux,
so it's obviously a FreeBSD-related problem.

I also had problems with it. I ended up replacing it with a mini-pci atheros card.

Eric