Vivek Khera wrote:

On Nov 28, 2005, at 12:58 AM, vizion wrote:

Would anyone be so bold as to make some recommendations for a reliable
motherboard/processor combination on the assumption that this is to be a
dual processor system running freebsd 6.0

You definitely want something Opteron based for this kind of data volume. And I'd go with LSI Megaraid 4 channel SCSI RAID controller for your data connected to some Ultra 320 SCSI disks on multiple channels of the RAID card.

I've just bought a Tyan K8SD Pro with dual 2GHz cpus, though with the SiS SATA RAID controller which isn't supported. I've got 4 200+Gb drives, two of which I've mirrored using gmirror, but that motherboard also has U320 SCSI support. I don't have any hard data suffice to say its very snappy, looking at the gstatus output its getting perhaps 30Mb per second transfer between drives, but I might have that wrong (and that might be pitiful, I'm not sure). I haven't really benchmarked it to get the full details. I've setup 4 jails to be dev/test/prod environments and a sandboxed Samba server, and all in all its going very well so far. This is my first exposure to an Opteron system, so this isn't so much a recommendation as a "seems damn nice so far" :)

Cheers,
Joe