Uwe Laverenz wrote:
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 06:44:48PM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:

It looks like in the course of writing your long email you forgot to
describe any of the problems you are having.

I don't know his exact problems either, but I could name you a few
examples that currently reduce the fun of using FreeBSD:

- To my surprise it's almost impossible to use the parallel port with
  interrupts ("interrupt storms"), polling mode works...

It doesn't surprise me, as most printer hardware is USB nowadays, so I'm sure that these bits haven't been well exercised lately. If there is a regression in this area in RELENG_6, it would be worth reporting to this list, hopefully with enough detail that a developer could help you troubleshoot the problem.

- wlan is broken, my Thinkpad keeps losing WPA-PSK connection very often
  (probably kern/88793).

Two things, first I seem to recall someone saying that the ral hardware is not all that hot to begin with, and you'd be better off with another wifi card. If that's not possible, have you tried upgrading to the latest 6-stable? If it's still not working after that, please report it to the list. Also, it's worth noting that if you're trying WPA on 5-stable, you're not likely to succeed. The infrastructure was greatly improved for 6-release.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want to complain, I just wanted to
give you some examples.

Ok, assuming we can take you at face value here, please note the consistent item in both of my responses above. The only way we can fix problems is if we know they exist, and the users experiencing the problems are willing to help with details, and testing solutions. The nature of PC hardware is such that no matter how much a developer tests on what they have (and some of our developers have extensive hardware testing facilities, often purchased with their own money), there will always be corner cases. FreeBSD got to the state that it is in right now (good or bad) because the community of its users helped make it that way. The only way it gets better is if people help make it better. Relying on "them" to do it for you is not the FreeBSD way.

Doug