On Jan 6, 2006, at 6:38 PM, Scott Mitchell wrote:

We'll only be mirroring the internal drives too for now - the 4e/DC seems
to be the only RAID option on the 1850 with battery-backed cache, and
doesn't cost much more for the extra peace-of-mind.

Then you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that the 4e/Si has a battery too. I certainly was... and it even has 256MB of cache RAM. Quite the bargain! I'll send you screen shots of the config menus in private email.

Unfortunately for me, the latest equipment I just got only takes low-
profile cards, and LSI doesn't offer a dual channel RAID card in low-
profile configuration... so I need to look at adaptec.

This is on your x4100? Nice machine. We have a v20z with dual Opteron 270s that I totally love. Looking at getting an x4100 too... sadly these are product development machines so they'll be running RedHat and Solaris.
Doesn't the x4100 have h/w RAID built in?  Or does that not work with
FreeBSD?

Yes, this is the X4100. It only has room for two low-profile PCI-X cards, which the 320-2X certainly is not. Curiously, LSI has on their web site some big announcements about some deals with Sun to use their products, so one would hope they would have a low-profile high-end card. Currently they only have a low-end card that is low profile.

I'm biting the bullet and getting an Adaptec 2230 low profile card. I hope it is fast. if not, then back to the drawing board... sigh.