At 06:08 PM 1/19/2006, you wrote:
hi
maybe a stupid hint but did you checked the TP cable and pin order? I often
saw such problems when a gigabit connected to an older /10 HUB or when using
incorrect pin orders on the cables or even to long cables

I will ask person to check the cables.

Appearently the sk down events are gone on my server with Pyun's patched
drivers, did you checked if you compiled with them in the right place?

I put sk drivers in /usr/src/sys/pci and compiled and installed kernel again.

My servers are now almost 24h up with the new sk driver and none of them is
having the problem any more until now. Until this I had crontab run "ifconfig
sk0 up" all 10 minutes what helped me so long.

ifconffig sk0 up might be the solution until I find the problem.

On my SMP system when sk stopped it caused also watchdog timeout on all other
NICs, on UP kernel not.

This system is SMP system, so I guess that is why fxp is timing out too.

Do you use interface polling? Check with vmstat -i because you may have
overlapping IRQs and you cards may not support it. Look into the MB manual
and see which pci slots are shared and don't use them or try another bios
setting. What MB you are using?

It is not using polling. I should ask the person to check the MB.
gw# vmstat -i
interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                         188          0
irq6: fdc0                            10          0
irq13: npx0                            1          0
irq14: ata0                            1          0
irq16: ahc0 ahc1                   56984         41
irq18: skc0 ohci0                 411469        300
irq19: fxp0                       104891         76
cpu0: timer                      2738746       1997
cpu1: timer                      2720830       1984
Total                            6033120       4400

you may try ifconfig fxp link0 to load its microcode which could help but in
my opinion and experience the fxp cards are bad when using more than one and
I through them all out but interesting is that they work well on until
releng_5, btw the sk  also works well on releng_5

Yes, I have at least several machines running FreeBSD-5.3 with 2 fxp cards and they seem to be OK. Also I have another 2 FreeBSD 6.0 machine with 2 fxp NIC and they are also fine.

I tried onboard pcn card:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:9:0: class=0x020000 card=0x20001014 chip=0x20001022 rev=0x36 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)'
    device   = 'Am79C970/1/2/3/5/6 PCnet LANCE PCI Ethernet Controller'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

However system crashes after connecting the cable. After reboot it is the same, crashes.

Ganbold

João