On 23 jan 2006, at 01.17, Michael S. Eubanks wrote:

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 23:51 +0100, Johan Ström wrote:

...snip...

On 22 jan 2006, at 22.58, Michael S. Eubanks wrote:
This card does afaik dont have raid functionalitys (I've never read
anything about it either on the web, the cards box or anywhere else..).
I'm running GENERIC, which does include ataraid..
What does your dmesg identify your card as?

atapci0: <Promise PDC40518 SATA150 controller> port 0xb800-0xb87f,
0xb400-0xb4ff mem 0xfb800000-0xfb800fff,0xfb000000-0xfb01ffff irq 19
at device 12.0 on pci0

Is it the same PDC chipset?

--
Johan

No, I have a different controller.  My mistake.  I think what is
happening is the DMA read command is failing, therefore causing the
device to be disconnected, and the kernel can't write to the disk from
that point on (this is somewhat obvious given the output below).

Nov 29 20:36:54 elfi kernel: subdisk10: detached
Nov 29 20:36:54 elfi kernel: ad10: detached
Nov 29 20:36:54 elfi kernel: unknown: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA48 retrying
(1 retry left) LBA=426562704
Nov 29 20:36:54 elfi kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0s1: provider
ad10s1 disconnected.

The message seen from the last line above is generated in any of the
following scenarios (from g_mirror.c):
  1. Device wasn't running yet, but disk disappear.
  2. Disk was active and disapppear.
  3. Disk disappear during synchronization process.

Nov 29 20:36:54 elfi kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Request failed (error=6).
ad10s1[WRITE(offset=134356992, length=16384)]

As far as recovering the disk, I remember seeing something about booting to single user mode and using fsck after a core dump in a previous post. I'm assuming the disks worked initially and that you were able to label
them etc?  Is there any possibility that the disk state may be altered
by a power saving feature or setting in the BIOS and FreeBSD just
doesn't know when it happens until the next time it tries to access the
disk?

For recovering, i've always done a direct reboot, the gmirror rebuilds the mirror and fsck is run. No problems reading labels etc, and never has been, only problem has been these sporadic crashes.. And the read/write performance (see earlier in thread)...

This is a server, so all bios setting for powersaving is (should be) shut of. Bios should thus never make the disk go to sleep.

-Michael

Thanks for trying to help!
--
Johan