On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Jo Rhett wrote:

> Look around.  Every major commercial OS does it just fine.  Most of the
> open source OSes do it just fine.  Debian had probably the easiest to use
> system, and they've risen, owned the world and fallen all while FreeBSD has
> been debating this issue.

Hello,

Another ™.02,

Today I'm installing Freebsd 6 from a CD, and I'm having to jump through
loops to get it up-to-date. Take for example FreeBSD-SA-06:03.cpio.

First I need to install the sources for the complete OS, then run a patch on
it, and all that for the installation of 1 measily binary, and then keep
track of the fact that I did this.

Supplying kernel-source patches is fine, but IMHO there is something really
wrong with this. I don't want to be bothered by the hassle of keeping track
of which security update I patched in my sourcetree and which not.

So, please pretty please make something that lets us admins just download a
binary package for an updated cpio, and let something whine if its installed
already on a system.

Shouldn't be too big a problem to get this done in 2006, rpm could do the
job, apt-get would suffice too?

Regards,
Kai
--