Sorry about the slow reply, been very busy with work and so havent had
   t= ime to play with my favourite BSD ;-)

   On your advi= ce, I built a kernel without atapicam and tried to
   kldload atapicam, I get = similar problems to having it in the kernel.
   Basically "# kldload atap= icam" doesnt return back to the console and
   the rest of the system gri= nds to almost standstill.

   So looks like I still have ata= picam problems, whats next?

   Thanks Adam.

   On Fri Feb 24 8:23 , Fabian Keil sent:
     Adam Retter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wro= te:

 > FreeBSD funkalicious.home.dom 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD
     6.1-PRERELEASE #8= :

 > Thu Feb 23 23:24:57 GMT 2006

     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/funkalicious i     386

 > I have a fairly straight-forward kernel config (see below) I
     think, ye= t

 > if I enable "device atapicam", and buildkernel and installke     rnel and

 > reboot, the system starts up fine until it get's to finding
     disks and<= br />
 > then it goes incredibly slowly, takes about
     5 minutes to get to
     =
 > "harvesting interupts" and so on and so on, I think it will
     = eventually

 > get to the login prompt, but I havent been tolerant to wait
     that long<= br />
 > >15 minutes.

 > If I dont use "device atapicam" the system is perfect, but I     could

 > really do with enabling it, for CD/DVD writting purposes...

 If you don't use "device atapicam" you can kldload atapicam.ko
     la= ter.

 You could try it to see if it makes a difference.

 Fabian

 --

 [3]http://www.fabiankeil.de/