Oliver Fromme wrote:
Hi,

I'll be getting a few new machines for a customer soon.
They will be SMP (dual processor Pentium-IV) with 4 GB RAM,
and I plan to install FreeBSD/i386 6-stable on them.

What's the current status of running with that amount of
memory?  I'm not completely up to date in that regard, and
searching the archive didn't get any definitive answers.
I remember that there were several issues in the past, but
I have no idea if they still exist.  They required fiddling
with VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX, or KVA_PAGES or similar things.

Will FreeBSD/i386 6-stable run on a 4 GB machine out of the
box?  Do I have to apply special tuning (kernel config or
sysctl or whatever)?  Using PAE shouldn't be necessary, I
assume.

It would also be interesting to know if 4-stable (which is
currently running on the predecessor machines) would run
without problems on those new 4 GB ones, too.

Thanks in advance for any information!

The base install, running GENERIC will only use 3GB. I believe you would either need to use the PAE kernel option, or use the 64bit version of FreeBSD on a corresponding 64bit hardware.

Eric