I have just realized that maybe the best approach to address this problem would be not reverting the change in question, but making find_local_scripts_new() more strict, so that only those local rc.d scripts that have been explicitly marked by maintainer as fully rc.d-safe are handled in a new way. Checking for '^# PROVIDE:' doesn't really work reliably.

-Maxim

Maxim Sobolev wrote:
Hi guys,

As part of testing how well some of our products work with latest RELENG_6, I have make a new build and found that lot of important services (for example PostgreSQL, Apache) doesn't start up (despite having respective xxx_enable entries in /etc/rc.conf) when installed from the freshly updated ports tree onto a clean, freshly updated RELENG_6 system. This is very bad, considering how close to release are we and how much FreeBSD users rely on those services to work OOB.

I would expect them to be really pissed off when lot of important services just don't work after upgrading their server from 6.0 to 6.1 or after installing it from install cd. This is apparently caused by the fact that lot of rc.d scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d are newstyle one now (sufficiently newstyle to pass find_local_scripts_new check), but few of them were actually tested to work correctly in fully rc.d environment.

Therefore, I think that the RELENG_6 should be reverted to using old stuff and it should be left for 7.x tree.

Regards,

Maxim