I have my first SMP amd64 box at the office now to work with, and thought it was all going to be easy. Sadly not, or at least, not yet. :-)

I configured dhcpd, tftpd, and nfs to export the 6.1 install CD from my notebook. All good so far. The problem is as follows: if I insert the 6.1 i386 release CD, it all works great. If I insert the amd64 CD, then I get the following after pxeboot has been going for a bit:

([EMAIL PROTECTED], Sun May  7 02:16:38 UTC 2006)
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
can't load 'kernel'

At that point, lsdev shows the disk devices, but not the pxeboot "disk", which leaves me without a kernel, etc. So something is different between the i386 and amd64 disks, or maybe there's a problem with my BIOS. I was wondering if anyone else had set up a similar configuration and had it work?

Robert N M Watson