On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Dan Nelson wrote:

In the last episode (Jun 17), Marc G. Fournier said:
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
Jun 17 16:00:03 pluto kernel: kern.ipc.maxpipekva exceeded; see tuning(7)
Jun 17 16:00:04 pluto kernel: kern.ipc.maxpipekva exceeded; see tuning(7)

but I can't seem to find anything in tuning(7) about it ... so, what
is it and how do I monitor for it?

More on this:

# sysctl -a | grep pipekva
kern.ipc.maxpipekva: 16777216
kern.ipc.pipekva: 15122432

and I just rebooted the server ...

so obviously I've been living on the edge ... not sure what to increase it
to, since not sure what it affects, so will wait on responses ...

Try also running "sysctl kern.ipc | grep pipe", which will also tell
you how many pipes are in use, plus some other counters.  The comment
at the top of sys/kern/sys_pipe.c explains how pipes are given memory.

What uses all of these pipes?  right now, with 97 jails running:

kern.ipc.maxpipekva: 25165824
kern.ipc.pipes: 7038
kern.ipc.pipekva: 22179840
kern.ipc.pipefragretry: 0
kern.ipc.pipeallocfail: 0
kern.ipc.piperesizefail: 0
kern.ipc.piperesizeallowed: 1

That is an average of 7 pipes per process:

pluto# ps aux | wc -l
    1326

----