Matthew Seaman wrote:
Václav Haisman wrote:
Hi,
I want to set up GEOM mirror of whole existing partitioned 250G disk.
The procedure described at <http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/>
seems to be rather long/complicated. I thought about using this:

# Boot into single user, then...
# First change fstab.
cp -p /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.orig
sed -e 's/dev\/ad0/dev\/mirror\/gm0/g' </etc/fstab.orig >/etc/fstab
# Then create the mirror.
gmirror label -v -b split -s 2048 mymirror ad0
gmirror insert -h mymirror ad2
# Reboot into the new World order.
shutdown -r now

Will this work or is it wrong? I appreciate any comment to this.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html

The problem with these instructions is that they don't take in to account the last sector. You may very well end up writing the metadata on the file system.