On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Kostik Belousov wrote:

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:23:21AM -0300, User Freebsd wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Robert Watson wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, User Freebsd wrote:

Also note that under FreeBSD 4.x, all three of these machines were pretty
much my more solid machines, with even more vServers running on them then
I'm able to run with 6.x ... once I got rid of using unionfs, stability
skyrocketed :(

Hrmmmm ... but, your 'controller driver' comment ... that is one common
thing amongst all three servers ... they are all running the iir driver
... not sure the *exact* controller, but pluto (older Dual-PIII) shows it
as:

Yes, this was going to be my next question -- if you're seeing wedges
under load and there's a common controller in use, maybe we're looking at
a driver bug.  Bugs of those sort typically look a lot like what you
describe: an I/O is "lost" and so eveything that depends on the I/O wedges
waiting for it, leading to a lot of processes hanging around waiting for
vnode locks, etc.

'k, but how do we debug *that*? :(  If it was one, I'd suspect hardware
... but *three*, and only acting up *after* upgrading to FreeBSD 6.x, and
only acting up under load ...

Obvious step would be to replace controller by some different kind.

Unfortunately, that one isn't an option ... these aren't local machines that I can easily swap hardware in :(

----