Dan Nelson wrote:
One problem is that method doesn't scale to lots of CPUs.  On a Sun
T2000 a non-threaded process consuming all of one CPU would only report
3.12 %CPU in that case (100/32).

I agree. The alternative is having a 10-thread process on such a system report 1000% cpu utilization, and/or having the sum of the cpu utilization column be 3200. Not sure which is worse.

I just built top-3.6 on such a system, though, and it does report a
simple "main(){for(;;);}" process as consuming 100 %CPU.  Maybe you're
thinking of Solaris's own prstat command?

Heh. I released 3.6 with new SunOS code that didn't adjust for number of cpus, and someone flagged the behavior as a bug. So you're right: 3.6 doesn't do it this way. But 3.5 did, and it seems at least some people prefer it that way.

Bill LeFebvre