Robert Watson wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Ganbold wrote:

#
# $P4: //depot/projects/trustedbsd/openbsm/etc/audit_user#3 $
# $FreeBSD: src/contrib/openbsm/etc/audit_user,v 1.2.2.1 2006/09/02 10:46:00 rwatson Exp $
#
#root:lo:no
root:all:no

I'm bit confused here I thought auditd should log all activities, but I don't see any log files. Am I doing something wrong here or my understanding regarding auditd is wrong?

Your configuration looks right to me, and should be generating a ridiculous number of audit records. Could you try rebooting and logging in again? audit_user entries take effect only as of login, similar to /etc/group settings, etc. How are you logging into the system?
This is my desktop system and I updated today to latest RELENG_6.

daemon# uname -an
FreeBSD daemon.micom.mng.net 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #6: Mon Sep 18 12:56:04 ULAST 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GDAEMON i386

I tried to restart several times auditd using /etc/rc.d/auditd script.

daemon# /etc/rc.d/auditd restart
Trigger sent.
Starting auditd.
daemon# /etc/rc.d/auditd restart
Trigger sent.
auditd already running? (pid=2065).
daemon# /etc/rc.d/auditd restart
Error sending trigger: Operation not supported by device
Starting auditd.
daemon# /etc/rc.d/auditd restart
Trigger sent.
auditd already running? (pid=2095).
daemon# /etc/rc.d/auditd restart
Error sending trigger: Operation not supported by device
Starting auditd.
daemon# /etc/rc.d/auditd restart
Trigger sent.
Starting auditd.
daemon# ps ax | grep audit
  10  ??  DL     0:00.00 [audit_worker]
2141  ??  Ss     0:00.01 /usr/sbin/auditd
2143  p3  RV     0:00.00 grep audit (csh)
daemon# ps ax | grep audit
  10  ??  DL     0:00.00 [audit_worker]
2141  ??  Ss     0:00.01 /usr/sbin/auditd

Strange, there are still no logs in /var/audit dir :( Even tried to use your config, no success. However when I logged on to my desktop from console to itself (ssh -l tsgan localhost) it starts logging.
But why it is not logging when I'm on console?

On my local RELENG_6 system, with the recent auditctl(2) fix, I'm using the following global settings to audit programs run by authenticated users:

  dir:/var/audit
  flags:lo,+ex
  minfree:20
  naflags:lo

It seems to be working properly. User space login/logout auditing won't work in RELENG_6 until the MFC of Christian's recent tweaks to pipe preselection, which will occurr in a few days (and hence should appear in BETA2).
I see.

thanks,

Ganbold

Robert N M Watson