On Sep 25, 2006, at 8:36, Johan Ström wrote:

What exactly does

kernel dumps on /dev/mirror/gm0s1b

mean? Not that it saves any kernel dumps at least.. But otoh I have no clue why it

It means exactly that. IIRC kernel dumps are created in swap space and on the next boot are moved to ${dumpdir}. I'm pretty certain this is explained nicely in the handbook[1].

AFAIK kernels can only be dumped on real devices, not on virtual devices like /dev/mirror/*. In that case your setup is not going to get you any dumps.

Besides that, it is probably not a very good idea to mirror your swap. I am certain it is bad for performance, if it'd gain you reliability is beyond my knowledge. This has been discussed before, you probably want to check the archives.

[1] Which I didn't check as I'm about to be in a hurry...
--
Alban Hertroys

                        Priest to alien: "We want to know, is there a higher
being?".
                        Alien: "Well, actually that's why we're here,
                                        we're sheer out of virgins".

!DSPAM:74,45178b3f7241469027555!