On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Erwin Lansing wrote:

I haven't seen a report on this before, although I heard other people being hit by the same problem before. Doing a fresh install from a BETA2 cd forgets to install the kernel and modules to disk. Everything else is installed just fine, so a simple copy of /dist/kernel/ to the installed disk easily fixes the problem. A wild guess would be that this has something to do with the SMP detection, although the first machine was SMP and the second UP. If this already is reported and fixed, I'll just shut up and get a newer BETA :-)

As a "me too" -- I've seen this happen a few times with previous FreeBSD releases, and I've not managed to trigger it reproduceably. Rather frustrating, actually -- there are just one or two boxes I installed where the first time through the installer, no kernel was installed, but when I re-did the install, it was. I tried to figure out what I had done differently, and wasn't able to track it down. This is something we need to look into -- perhaps something about how we decide what kernel to install, etc?

It would be interesting to think about having sysintall produce an install log and install that in /var/db/install on the installed box, so that a log of what had happened during install (i.e., the debug output) was available after the install.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge