Greg Black wrote:
[ ... ]
Dunno about PAE on i386 (and don't much care).  As it happens,
my amd64 box is hardly higher end, but it has slots for 4GB and
its doco claims that it can run with 4GB.  However, to my great
displeasure, I discovered after setting it up that both its BIOS
and any OS I install see weird and obviously wrong amounts of
memory if I install 4GB.  The exact bad size varies, depending
on various BIOS options, but ranges from 3.3GB up to 5.3GB (with
various intermediate values, none of which is the correct 4GB).
Updating the BIOS made no difference.

It's common for BIOSes to move the RAM occupying the same address space as the PCI range reserved for hardware above 4 GB; depending on the size of your AGP aperature (if present).

--
-Chuck