On 11/13/06, Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Just experienced an "interrupt storm" on an em device that disabled a
server until I could reboot it.

My initial research turned up this thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-November/058336.html

Which seems related, even if it is a little old.  I'm aware that there
have been problems with recent versions of the em driver but I haven't
been following them closely enough, and there's a LOT of mail traffic
on this topic.

Note that this is a FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p37 system.  An upgrade is
possible, but this is a production system and the problem occurs
infrequently, so I'm reluctant to schedule downtime unless I have good
reason to believe that it will fix the problem.

Anyone remember if the above problem was fixed in more recent versions,
or knows enough about the issue to comment on whether I'm barking up
the correct tree or not?  I'm pretty early in the diagnosis on this,
but I'm looking for pointers to keep me from doing random upgrades or
other time-wasting activities.

There were fixes to things that MIGHT be a cause of an interrupt storm
in the em driver, but without knowing more about your specific hardware
and the event when it happened its hard to pontificate :)

As an aside, I would think getting off 5.3 would be desireable in and of
itself :)

Can you give a vmstat -i, a pciconf -l, and maybe messages when the
storm occurred?

Thanks Bill,

Jack