On Wed, 2006-Dec-27 16:25:21 -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>IOW, you're probably right, but "magical" hardware problems that
>develop during upgrade periods are more common than a lot of people
>realize.

I've had two hardware failures during upgrades: Once, when trying to
upgrade from 2.x to 3.x, my CD-ROM died.  That was fairly obvious.
The second time (on a different system), the system refused to reboot
after upgrading the kernel until I unplugged my PCMCIA modem card.
After much hair-pulling (and assistance from imp@), I worked out that
the card had died.

We often have problems at work with antique AlphaServers that get very
temperamental if they are rebooted or power-cycled after being on and
running for several years.

--
Peter Jeremy