Kris Kennaway wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:45:59AM -0600, Guy Helmer wrote:
We're encountering some problems on FreeBSD 6.1 SMP [...].
df shows wildly incorrect values for available space, sometimes even showing more space available than there is allocated to the partition[...]
First I've heard of it.  May not be resolved unless a developer can
reproduce it.

Kris
I think we've finally found the cause of the problem - it wasn't just occurring after heavy use, but was visible right after filesystem creation! We regularly built new filesystems with "newfs -U -O 1 -b 65536 -f 8192" (a couple of our older products are still based on FreeBSD 4, so we built UFS1 filesystems for all our products). It seems that newfs with the -O1 option creates inconsistent metadata: fsck on a large, newly-built UFS1 filesystem complains in phase 5 with "SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD". I've filed a PR on it.

Guy