On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 11:28:15PM +0400, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 03:55:20PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > For PuTTY, most users have it incorrectly set to "xterm"(*).
> > There are no clues - so I added the environment variable to help.
>
> BTW, we have "putty" terminal entry for that purpose.

yes - but see

        http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html
        A.5.1 What terminal type does PuTTY use?

which is not really helpful.  Compare PuTTY and xterm using

        ftp://invisible-island.net/vttest/

(the difference in wrapping behavior which is evident in the first menu
selection is reflected in the different terminal descriptions).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net