Richard Tector wrote:
Ivan Voras wrote:
Richard Tector wrote:
I'm suffering from very slow write performance on a Dell PowerEdge 860
with the SAS5/IR controller (mpt driver) running either 6.2-RELEASE or
6.2-STABLE with sources from yesterday. The controller hosts 2 Western
Digital 320GB SATA disks in a RAID1 configuration.
Reads approach 65MB/s however writes appear extremely slow, in the
region of 6-7MB/s with a dd and a blocksize of 1MB all the way down to
about 300KB/s while extracting a ports snapshot.

It was suggested to me that perhaps write caching has been disabled on
the controller however no options exist within the BIOS configuration to
view/adjust *any* caching options.

You looked in the controller's BIOS, not motherboard's, right?
Indeed I did.
There should be at least a "write through" vs "write back" switch...
Correct, there should be options, but there aren't. The controller BIOS has very few options at all in fact.

No, but can you post the relevant bits for the controller from dmesg?
Sure:

mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem 0xfe9fc000-0xfe9fffff,0xfe9e0000-0xfe9effff irq 16 at device 8.0 on pci2
mpt0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
mpt0: MPI Version=1.5.12.0
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x16
mpt0: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0x16 (ACK not required).
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x12
mpt0: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0x12 (ACK not required).
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x12
mpt0: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0x12 (ACK not required).
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x16
mpt0: Unhandled Event Notify Frame. Event 0x16 (ACK not required).
da0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Dell VIRTUAL DISK 1028> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device
da0: 300.000MB/s transfers, Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 305175MB (624998400 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 38904C)

I have just stumbled across this problem on 4 PE860's and 2 PE840's. I have been through the BIOS of the card and found no information about caching in any of the menus. I then decided to take the card out and could not see any place to attach a cache battery backup unit, I could also not see any ram chips on the card.

Is there any news on the performance of this card?

Tom