Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

On Apr 20, 2007, at 8:23 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

Look closely at the dmesg line, note what device sio0 is claiming  to be
associated with (acpi0, not isa0):

sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0

This is one of the drawbacks to using ACPI.

Could you try uart(4) instead. It seems quite excessive to have to
disable ACPI just to get a serial port working. I'd like to know
if this is related to the sio(4) driver or something else.

Just a note that I get exactly the same issues with my BIOS/ACPI but *my serial port works*. I have not needed to disable ACPI nor to use uart(4). The sio0 line has an IRQ associated with it (4) and I think if there were really a problem there would be no IRQ here.

IIRC, the issue is something to do with ACPI presenting the serial ports backwards wrt the BIOS. I know I got concerned about this when I first encountered it, and tried stuff to swap the two ports I have over, but nothing I did made the initial "ACPI probed irqs" error go away so I just tried the serial port and it worked.

--Alex