On Friday 27 April 2007 08:15, Matthew X. Economou wrote:
> I'm having a difficult time developing a scripted install using
> sysinstall, as my target hardware is not sufficiently uniform,
> hostnames vary, etc.  The sysinstall documentation implies that
> alternatives are available, and that sysinstall is not really
> supported any more.  Where can I find these alternate installers?  Do
> they have better support for scripted installations?
>
> Is it possible to perform the installation manually from the mfsroot
> image?  If so, I guess I could develop a shell script that performs
> the installation steps.

You can get sysinstall to do most of the work for you and then fix
things up after the fact by running a script. My install.cfg does a
basic install and then untar's an image over the top which I created by
doing an installworld into a chroot and installing ports into.

Unfortunately you can't easily alter rc.conf because sysinstall
overwrites it thinking it is an old copy. (You end up with your entries
commented out).

I've been working on a patch for sysinstall so you can specify it merge
entries together without uncommenting the old ones but I haven't
finished it yet.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum