On 5/2/07, KAYVEN RIESE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 2 May 2007, Tuomo Latto wrote:

> KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
>> Then run config NEW_FILE
>>
>> Go into kernel build directory run
>> make cleandepend ; make depend ; make && make install
>>
>> but i don't know what the "kernel build directory" is
>>
>> prolly simple for you guys.  i just did the command
>> in the
>>
>> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>>
>> directory and it didn't werk.
>
> Try these:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

i don't see any "config NEW_FILE" like statements on these pages.. i see
the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf directory.. and i don't see that command he
told me to do:

make cleandepend ; make depend ; make && make install

i see "make buildkernel" and "make installkernel" that makes me very
nervous.

Don't be.

What the first person advised you on was the old way of compiling a
kernel, the new way is to use make buildkernel and make installkernel
from /usr/src.

Just follow the example in the hand book.