On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 07:40:21PM -0700, Bill Swingle wrote:
> > >  Doh, I knew I forgot something in my original email.
> > >  Here's the full dmesg: http://dub.net/rum.dub.net.dmesg
> >
> > Actually you did include this in your original Email.  I think
> > Daniel overlooked it.  :-)
>
> Oops, maybe it was an attachment I forgot to read.
>
> As you say later - it would be good to know what mode the chipset
> is in.
>
> Might be worth trying AHCI mode if you have it (although maybe ICH5
> is too old for that?)

I don't have any experience with the Hitachi 1TB SATA drives, but I
know an outfit that was trying out the Seagate 1TB drives and had 8
out of 12 fail their burn-in (a 3 day torture test)  My luck with
consumer SATA drives has been incredibly dismal, with ~40 of them in
service I see multiple failures a year, including drives being DOA
and dying after a few weeks of service.  I wouldn't be at all
surprised if one or both of the drives was bad right out of the box.
It could be something else of course, but don't discount the fact
that they could be bad from your troubleshooting just because they
are new.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel