On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

This is my feeling also -- I would consider ABI breakage a show stopper for 6.x, but feel otherwise that the new code is much more mature and capable and would be quite beneficial to people building appliances and related products on 6.x. You might check with Attilio about whether there are any remaining outstanding issues that need to be resolved first, and make sure to send a heads up out on stable@ and put a note in UPDATING that the option and details have changed.

I still get confused as to the meaning of this...

It only breaks ABI when it's enabled.

I think that is OK, right?

As we're eliminating MUTEX_PROFILING and replacing it with LOCK_PROFILING, I think it is OK that the ABI for one differs from the other as long as the base kernel ABI remains static. I.e., this seems OK to me also.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge