Dmitry Morozovsky wrote on Monday, October 29, 2007 9:13 AM:
> any hints to tune rrdtool with ~30k rrd files (approx 2k target
> devices)?
>
> machine is mostly IO-bound, showing 100% disk load with 8 or
> sometimes even 3 mB/s, 300-400 tps (it's 2 SATA300 disks in gmirror)

This is how rrdtool behaves. The best you can do is avoid paging of the "hot"
blocks of the RRD files out of buffer cache by supplying sufficient RAM.
Other options such as noatime etc. merely have minor effects.

Personally, I run a 70k+ RRD file box by queueing the requests first and
writing them to the database files in bulk, at the expense of an artificial
delay of a couple of minutes. Disk space is some 6 GB so using a RAM disk
might be an option, at the risk of losing data...

Probably about 100k RRDs is what you can get out of current hardware. Note
specifically that SMP has no effect.

Helge

Atos Origin GmbH, Theodor-Althoff-Str. 47, D-45133 Essen, Postfach 100 123,
D-45001 Essen
Telefon: +49 201 4305 0, Fax: +49 201 4305 689095, www.atosorigin.de
ING Bank AG, Frankfurt/Main: Konto 001 014 0937, BLZ 500 210 00, Swift / BIC
INGBDEFF, IBAN DE74 5002 1000 0010 1409 37
Geschäftsführer: Wilbert Kieboom, Handelsregister Essen HRB 19354,
Ust.-ID.-Nr.: DE147861238