On Nov 22, 2007 1:01 AM, Vivek Khera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2007, at 12:45 AM, Quan Qiu wrote:
>

> > "ChallengeResponseAuthentication no" is also required to avoid sshd
> > accepting keyboard-interactive/pam.
> >

> I don't think this setting matters for PermitRootLogin without-
> password.  At least the default on FreeBSD 6 works as expected when
> setting the root login limit.

Sorry for not mentioning I'm on 5.5-STABLE.

Using the following settings in sshd_config:

PermitRootLogin without-password
PasswordAuthentication no
UseDNS no
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/libexec/sftp-server

PuTTY'ing to the box produces:

Using username "root".
Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
Password:

--
裘�� (QIU Quan) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>