To: "Balgansuren Batsukh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: FreeBSD-6.2, 7.0-BETA1 on X60

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 21:31 +0800, Balgansuren Batsukh wrote:
Hello All,

I tried to install FreeBSD on X60 using PXE boot, but unsuccessfully finish
my attempt.

When it start PXE boot it get IP address from DHCP, download PXE boot file
from TFTP server,
then trying to load kernel image from TFTP server.

After 10-20 minutes it give me error message "can't load kernel", I tried
many times load boot/kernel/kernel, but same result.

I guess PXE boot read much longer time to load kernel file and suddenly give
me error message.

I followed instruction on http://www.hack.org/mc/freebsd-x60.html

I made X60---->LAN switch---->TFTP/DHCP/NFS server and even tried
X60---cross-over cable---->TFTP/DHCP/NFS server.

Is there any suggestion?

I have built my X60 from such a setup and then used it as the "FixIt"
environment more then a few times. Here are relevant bits from the
server (watch out for the line wrapping):

=== /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf (I am using isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.5_2)
option domain-name "rabbitslawn.verizon.net";
option domain-name-servers rabbitslawn.verizon.net;

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

authoritative;

ddns-update-style none;

log-facility local7;

server-name "twinhead";
server-identifier 10.0.3.236;
next-server 10.0.3.236;

subnet 10.0.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
 range 10.0.3.33 10.0.3.64;
 option routers 10.0.3.242;
 option domain-name-servers 10.0.3.242;
 option root-path "/SHARED/tftpboot";
 filename "boot/pxeboot";
}

=== /etc/exports (excerpt)
/SHARED  -alldirs

=== /etc/inetd.conf (excerpt)
tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd -u
sunny -l -s /SHARED/tftpboot

=== /etc/rc.conf (excerpt)
nfs_server_enable="YES"
rpcbind_enable="YES"

=== /SHARED/tftpboot
Contains fairly old (February 2007) snapshot of then 7-CURRENT with two
modifications

=== /SHARED/tftpboot/boot/loader.rc
echo Loading Kernel...
load /boot/kernel/kernel
echo Loading mfsroot...
load -t mfs_root /mfsroot
echo booting...
echo \007\007
echo initializing h0h0magic...
set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"
boot

=== /SHARED/tftpboot/mfsroot
Is the decompressed version of /SHARED/tftpboot/boot/mfsroot.gz.

I can confirm that stopping NFS on the server will give the symptoms
roughly corresponding to the ones you are describing, so the first thing
I would recommend checking is the ability to mount your equivalent of
the "/SHARED/tftpboot" above.

Hopefully this is all I have done to get this to work -- I have picked
most of it from someone's web page, but I could not find original URL
ATM.

Regards,
Balgaa

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>