> >> But you can put that option into the kernel config file:
> >>
> >>   options PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=...
> >>
> >> and build a new kernel with it.
> >
> > You are correct. My question is more how much should I increase it. The
> > current default in the 4.x LINT file
> > is "options PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=201" should I double it? Increase it by 50
> > to 251? Should it be a prime number?
> > I am just asking for information.
>
> The settings in the LINT file are not necessarily the defaults, rather
> mere examples.  The default value for PMAP_SHPGPERPROC is 200 (defined
> in the source file /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/pmap.c).  I would recommend to
> increase it by 100 until the messages stop.  We use 300 on our servers,
> for instance.

I do recall I had the same message on a 5.x-server (running
postgresql-server I think, some years ago now :-) ) once in a while. I
think I raised it twice to 400. I remember that the recommendation was
not to raise it too high in order not to make the kernel panic during
boot.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare