Adrian Chadd wrote:
On 25/12/2007, Brett Glass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It sounds like you're pretty convinced you know what the problem is.
Again, I'd have to instrument either the FreeBSD kernel or Squid to
be 100% sure. But it APPEARS that it's a problem with large
numbers of threads trying to do file I/O simultaneously and blocking.

I'd still check the namei cache; Squid can and does chew through
stupid amounts of pathnames. Its why I hacked up that "ifs" thing a
few years ago but was suddenly (contractually) required to not hack on
caching for a while..

Yes, Squid is the ideal application for IFS. Do you still have any of your work on this, and would you be able to share it?

Scott