J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:40:34 -0500, I wrote:
Ah!  Just experienced a short freeze ...

And another!  This one about 3 or 4 seconds.

The profile from the last minute is here:
    http://opal.com/jr/freebsd/releng_7-freeze/200801121342-unknown.txt

This one shows a long hold_avg (I meant hold_avg in the previous
message, too) for:
    /usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_vnops.c:515 (lockmgr:ufs)

        -jr

In both of these cases there is a non-mpsafe interrupt (probably your mouse) blocked on a sysctl call (both of these require Giant). That would be fixed once sysctl no longer requires Giant (hopefully before 7.1, I have a WIP), or once someone makes the psm driver mpsafe. I don't think it accounts for a multi-second pause though. Probably a sched_graph trace will also be required to diagnose that better.

Kris