Hey all,

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Christian Walther wrote:

Hello Bob,

On 15/01/2008, Bob Vaughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've been having a problem on one particular machine with Firefox locking up
on me, requiring a hard kill to get rid of it.

The problem is thus: Firefox starts normally, but as soon as I go to a
site that requires authentication, or any other form of user input,
It will freeze as soon as I start entering my userid.
[...]

Any ideas where to start looking?

Since you've done nearly everything that could affect a binary working
properly, I think we can rule out a problem with the base system, X or
the browser itself.
I guess the problem might be related to your ~/.mozilla directory. I
noticed that a large variety of problems might be related to something
been broken inside it.
This might be an extension that might be incompatible and that isn't
installed on any of the other machines.
I'd recommend you to shut down firefox, open a terminal window and
rename the directory to something different. Please note that it
contains all settings you've made in *any* mozilla product (sunbird,
thunderbird).
Start firefox again and give it a try.

Another neat trick that I oddly enough learned using OS-X is to just setup a new user on the box and reserve it for checking out odd problems that might be caused by any user-specific settings. This has really helped me out a number of times. Very different OSes, but both end up with a ton of user-specific stuff in $HOME...

Charles

HTH
Christian