On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:04:39 +1100 (EST)
Ian Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Beto, hi,
>
> not to detract from the seriousness of the problem,

Hey Ian,

> two dumb questions:
>
> 1) why would you need to unload it?

no reason at all really - other than I wanted to see if it made any difference
and I stumbled upon it...or rather the whole system stumbled and crashed...

> ie did loading it fix the problem?

nope - it doesn't seem to be related to the ACPI brightness control.

> 2) does this mean the acpi_ibm brightness controls aren't working in X?

means exactly that, for me. ACPI msgs are triggered  - the tpb util brings up
the meter on the screen, but nothing actually changes. I need to double check
with DRI disabled, but I think it wasnt working either. Tpb has never actually
changed the meter of brightness, as it does with Volume - it has always been
stuck in 0 ... never bothered to chase that down because the brightness changes
happened anyway.

It does work fine on text mode.

PS : finally hit 31+ in Syd... i will need a separate AC unit to cool down the
'breathing' of the servers on my desk :P Luckily i'm not in Melb ;)...
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Unix is very simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
   Dennis Ritchie

Warned.