On Jan 25, 2008, at 1:05 PM, Thomas Hurst wrote:
These numbers are quite worrysome-- they should be zero or nearly so in a
healthy drive.

No, these are perfectly reasonable for a Seagate.  I have about 12
7200.X's and all show the same sort of behavior. If they're nearly zero
it's probably a sign your manufacturer isn't actually counting them
(marketroids hate accurate SMART readings).

Try graphing them as counters; with an idle disk you'll see periodic
sawtooth patterns as the heads crawl from one side of the disk to the
other.

SMART attributes which end with _Ct or _Count are supposed to increment with every event; things which end with _Rate (ie, Raw_Read_Error_Rate, Seek_Error_Rate) are supposed to indicate the frequency of such errors over time. It would be reasonable for Hardware_ECC_Recovered to keep the incremental count, but not the other two.

I agree that minor periodic errors happen over time and are not a great concern, but a happy drive will show zero reallocated sectors, or perhaps a few over the span of a year or two, and will have a ECC recovered or UDMA_CRC count which is much smaller than was reported by Joe.

YMMV, of course...

--
-Chuck