Jisakiel wrote:
> Greetings. I was trying to install FreeBSD 7 on an old machine to make it a
> fileserver. Machine is an AMD K7 1200 on an Abit AN-7 mobo (nforce2 400),
> which has booted Freebsd 7.0 RC1 beforehand (for testing ZFS; only ACPI
> didn't work as it hung it).
>
> I recently bought a PCI SATA card on the cheap variety, Promise SATA300
> TX2Plus, and a couple of 500GB Maxtors. Unfortunately, when any hard drive
> (both of the 500's and an older 250 Maxtor which I use) is plugged to the
> SATA ports of the pci card I get an instantaneous reboot when trying to boot
> the bootonly cd (it doesn't reach the bootloader). If no disks are plugged it
> works but hangs while booting (with ACPI disabled).
>
> Things I tried:
>
> - Booting another OS. Card works perfectly both in linux (2.6.24) and
> windows, with the two hard drives visible.
> - Leaving just one SATA drive connected to the whole system through the PCI
> card. It doesn't matter which drive I let, both the 250G and the 500G make it
> reboot.
> - Swapping the power cable.
> - Unplugging my former 2 drives to ease the load on the Enermax 365W power
> supply. It works in Windows though, with everything on...
> - Disabling both integrated SATA of the motherboard (SI3112 which works both
> in linux and freebsd), and integrated firewire (just in case).
> - Moving the PCI card to another slot. I only have another pci device, a
> soundcard, and moving it changed the bios boot order (first the pci, then the
> integrated sata or viceversa) with no change at all afterwards.
> - Trying 6.3 livecd. Same insta-reboot.
> - Updating the card's bios. There is no newer one, 1.0.0.34 is what came and
> what's on the promise web.
>
> Is there any way to make this card work on FreeBSD 7, or anything else that I
> could try? I bought it specifically for that; I might be in time to return
> it, though I'd have to buy another one on the same price range then (perhaps
> Promise FastTrak TX2300, HightPoint RocketRaid 1520 or Adaptec 1210SA which I
> seem to recall that doesn't work too well on linux). Otherwise I'd be more
> than willing to help debugging it ^^.
>
> Thanks everybody...
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

For what its worth, I have a RocketRaid 1520 in my fileserver at home
that I've been using for over a year without any problems:

atapci0: <HighPoint HPT372N UDMA133 controller> port
0xff00-0xff07,0xfe00-0xfe03
,0xfd00-0xfd07,0xfc00-0xfc03,0xec00-0xecff irq 17 at device 8.0 on pci0
ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
ad4: 286168MB <Seagate ST3300831AS 3.03> at ata2-master UDMA133
ad6: 286168MB <Seagate ST3300831AS 3.03> at ata3-master UDMA133
ar0: 286168MB <HighPoint v2 RocketRAID RAID1> status: READY

-Proto