Clifton Royston wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 02:39:35PM +0000, Chris wrote:
On 28/02/2008, Krassimir Slavchev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:15:30PM -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:
I have just installed 7.0 on some new hardware.  Have never tried earlier
versions.  There are a couple of unexpected items that I do not understand.

2.  I have 2 SATA drives in the system.  The first is recognized as ad10
and the second as ad12.  I expected to see ad0 and ad1.
Thus, never expect the adX devices to "start with 0".
If you want adX devices to "start with 0" just remove 'options
ATA_STATIC_ID' from the kernel config file but be very carefully if you
change hardware!
Ahh thats useful, on the occasions I have remotely installed freebsd
over linux I have always failed due to incorrectly guessing the hd id
and as such a wrong fstab, if I know it will always be ad0 and ad1 and
so on it makes this much easier.

  And if you ever add a second drive, and it happens to be detected
first, expect a lot of work getting things working again.  There are
good reasons for doing it this way, though you do get a choice.

This is the fstab of my notebook:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/label/2swap        none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ufs/2root          /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ufs/2tmp           /tmp            ufs     rw,async        2       2
/dev/ufs/2usr           /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ufs/2var           /var            ufs     rw              2       2

I can take out the HD and boot from it via USB-adaptor or put it into another machine. It all doesn't matter, I don't care about device IDs at all. The geom label class has made life much easier.

You only have to label the partitions with "tunefs -L" and the swap partition with "glabel label".