Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

Quoting "Chris H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

If you ask me, kernel developer &| server install should be on
disc1, and desktop^*$ should go on disc99.

FreeBSD
...the power to serve.
----------------^^^^^

eh ?
???

So what do you propose to use as workstations with your FreeBSD servers ?

(Not that I see much difference in philosophy, nowadays: servers used to be
those machines with high throughput all along the night, and now they tend to be those over-reactive transactional n-tier service-providers. What's so different
with serving desktop-user requests... Sigh.)

Anyway: are you deliberately proposing to concentrate on server, period. And to hell with other users (if one can use FreeBSD to be desktop-productive so much
the better, but we shouldn't put too much effort in that) ?

Greetings,
I would assert that FreeBSD is first and foremost a Server OS.
The fact that it can also provide a full blown desktop, is so much
the better.
In this context, I believe that it makes more sense to place the
server related install on the first disc. This makes it possible
to install a server with the least amount of effort. It /also/
makes it quite possible for a would-be desktop user to likely
only need to exchange discs /one/ time. As the most frequently
used desktop items will fit onto their own disc (one disc).

Bottom line: this arrangement should ultimately make everyones
life easier, and maybe even happier. :)

--Chris H

gregory

panic: kernel trap (ignored)