Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 02:23:21AM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
What I am having absolutely no understanding of; is why do
2 FBSD servers sharing the same setups, and the same stock
lo0 setups react /completely/ differently than each other,
when the only difference is the version of FBSD, and the
version of the BIND?
RELENG_6 server has nothing more than the 7-RC3 regarding
lo0 (/etc/defaults/rc.conf: ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1").
when I start rbldnsd on the RELENG_6's primary IP port:530
with a zone file using 127.0.0.2 && a zone file using
127.0.0.3. Everything works like a charm.
Yet same setup, same config, different FBSD version;
nothing works as it did before.

This is bordering on "not enough information", sadly.  People are going
to need to see the details you're holding back.

No. It's not a matter of "holding back". I really don't want to spam
the stable list with ports litter. My main concern/question was in
figuring out why 2 identical server configs would react so differently
in the way they handle lo0 and friends - rbldnsd, or no rbldnsd.

Start with providing the output from "ifconfig lo0" on both the RELENG_6
box and the RELENG_7 box.

I've already committed an /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1       netmask 255.255.255.0" which is now active
on the 7-RC3 server.
So until later I can only provide the RELENG_6 output:
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3

I'll uncommit/unactivate the 7-RC3 entry as soon as I can and
provide it's output, as well.

Secondly, as Mark (Andrews) pointed out, whatever data you have in your
rbldnsd **zone files** has nothing to do with the IP or IPs bound to
lo0.

What's really needed at this point is for you to describe in detail your
rdnsbld configuration on both machines, and what it is you want to
accomplish.  As it stands right now, my understanding is that you are:

* Running a single instance of rbldnsd on both machines,
* Binding rbldnsd on each machine to publicip:530
* Utilising zone data which contains IPs 127.0.0.2 and 127.0.0.3

Actually, I'm only running rbldnsd on one machine at a time. With
the final goal of running it permanently on the 7-RC3 (current work
in progress).

And that the setup works OK for you on RELENG_6, but not RELENG_7.

Correct.

I really don't want to have to install rbldnsd on both of our production
RELENG_6 and RELENG_7 boxes to tinker with this and figure out what's
going on, but if I have to, I will.

No. Please don't bother yourself with this. This wasn't meant to be
the topic of this thread - it's just the situation that brought me
to my question(s) regarding the behavior of lo0 and friends.
Thank you for considering it though. :)

I can assure you that both of our
said boxes are identical when it comes to the behaviour of loopback;
nothing there has changed.

Fair enough. My RELENG_6 boxen must be demon possessed, or something -
D'OH! Pardon the pun. :P

I didn't mean to imply you're stupid or incompetent -- that is in no way
what I was getting at.  But there does seem to be some disconnection
going on: it's important that you understand A records or PTR records in
zone files (which is what those 127.0.0.[23] addresses are) do not have
direct relation to IP addresses bound to interfaces nor netmasks.

No. Just the ability to create/connect/communicate over them (the IP's).
Which it seems the RELENG_6 server is happy to provide - inspite of
how unorthodox it is.

Thank you very much for all the time you've taken.

--Chris H

panic: kernel trap (ignored)