Greetings,

Eirik Øverby wrote:
On Mar 23, 2008, at 08:28, Matthew Seaman wrote:

Freddie Cash wrote:

All that's really needed is a more formalised process for handling
upgrading config files, with as much as possible managed via the ports
framework itself.  Something that dictates the name of the config
file, and that compares the config file from the port against the
installed config file (or against an md5 of the port config file) and
only replaces it if it is unchanged.  Something that is part of the
make system.

Most ports that install configuration files actually do this already.
It's generally why you'll find that a sample configuration file is
considered part of the port, but the actuall live configuration file
is not.  The port will only feel free to meddle with the config file if
it is still identical to the sample file.

There are a few exceptions to this rule: The courier authdaemon ports, for instance, are notorious for overwriting my carefully-crafted configuration files when upgrading. I loathe those ports (or apps - not sure who's to blame) for that reason alone. In fact, it not only installs a config.dist file (which is fine), but it ALSO overwrites the current config. A cardinal sin, if there ever were any..
I'm using FreeBSD + courrier for imap/pop3 and auth for more then 2 years till now and this never happen to me.
Though I'm using portupgrade to upgrade those ports.
The only port that destroyed my configuration file is blocksshd, I reported it and it was fixed in 2 days.