On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 04:51:50PM +0300, Pertti Kosunen wrote:
Larry Rosenman wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
And what the FAQ doesn't cover is here:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues

* EIST (Intel SpeedStep) incompatibilities with Supermicro PDSMI+
motherboards (and possibly others)
   * Symptom: kernel outputs messages like kernel: calcru: negative
runtime of -XXXXX usec for pid XX
   * Workaround: Disable the EIST feature in the BIOS. You can still
achieve ACPI-based processor
     frequency throttling by using powerd(8).
   * Reference:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-October/133253.html
What I find interesting is I hadn't seen these until this kernel update :(

Same problem here with Tyan Toledo i3000R (S5191) motherboard if cpufreq
module is loaded.

7.0-RELEASE (AMD64) didn't have this problem.

Are you absolutely positive about this (re: amd64 not having the
problem)?  I can reproduce the issue documented in my Wiki page on i386
or amd64.  The piece that seems to cause it, at least in the case of the
PDSMI+, is EIST being enabled in the BIOS.

For what it's worth, I've got five Supermicro PDSMI+ and one PDSMA+ in production, all running amd64, and starting from when I moved from 6.2-STABLE to 7.0-BETA, and continuing through last week's 7.0-STABLE, I started seeing "calcru: runtime went backwards"... messages for about 2-3 minutes after a reboot, then they'd go away on their own. Disabling EIST in the BIOS two days ago made the problem go away on all six systems.

The systems are using the ACPI-fast timecounter (the default) except the PDSMA+ uses TSC because it's faster for MySQL... switching between the two didn't make any difference. I figured the reason the errors went away 3 minutes after boot was due to ntpd beating the clock into behaving. I also don't have the cpufreq module loaded.

In my case the error messages seemed pretty harmless and the systems have been running great for a long time... both before and after toggling EIST... I only mention it because in my case, it was a slightly different message (always "runtime went backwards" not "negative runtime"), and it did affect 7.0-RELEASE/amd64 for me, and maybe that'll help someone narrow it down...