On 14 mei 2008, at 10:15, Kris Kennaway wrote:

| While doing an rsync from a zfs filesystem to an external usb hd (also
| zfs), the rsync processes hung in zfs state. I could not kill these
| processes, although the rest of the server seemingly continued to run
| fine. The reboot command did not work. Next I tried a shutdown now
| command. This caused a panic:
Sound like you somehow run out of memory, there is an known issue with
ZFS which causes livelock when there is memory pressure.  Which rsync
version are you using?  With rsync 3.x the memory usage would drop
drastically which would help to prevent this from happening.

This isn't known to cause a double fault though. Unfortunately we probably need more information than was available in order to proceed.

Yes, I agree. But I don't know what to do in this sort of case where the machine is completely wedged.

Ben