:Yes, IPFW is running on the box.  Why not?
:
:--
:Robert Blayzor, BOFH
:INOC, LLC
:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
:http://www.inoc.net/~rblayzor/

    There's nothing wrong with running IPFW on the same box :-)

    But, I think that rule change is masking the problem rather then solving
    it.  The keep-state is limited.  The reason the number of dead connections
    isn't going up is probably because IPFW is either hitting its keep-state
    limit and dropping connections, or the connection becomes idle long
    enough for IPFW to recycle the keep-state for it, also causing it to
    drop.

    Once the keep-state is lost that deny established rule will cause the
    connection to fail.

    I would be very careful with any type of ruleset (IPFW or PF) which
    relies on keep-state.  You can wind up causing legitimate connections
    to drop if it isn't carefully tuned.

    It might be a reasonable bandaid, though.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>