--On June 7, 2008 2:16:26 PM -0700 Jo Rhett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jun 5, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
It's not quite that simple.  To do that, I have to block out time to
drive 45 miles during my supposed "off" hours and do the upgrade
there.  Because, if it breaks networking and I'm at home, the server
will be down for at least an hour until I can drive to the hosting
company, get access to the server and restore the old kernel.

Paul, you should arrange with your colocation provider to get an out of
band serial connection to the system, and configure the console to go to
the serial port.  We provide that for free at $EMPLOYER and most other
places I know of do it for free or nominal charge.

I was not aware of that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not
those of my employer.