Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
Okay, so then your original comment ("The same thing happened when
trying to use a USB CDROM drive, so I suspect USB boot support is at
fault somehow") might actually not be caused by FreeBSD at all?  The
reason I say that:

OK, good point. I didn't try any other OS, I just tried FreeBSD 6 and 7 off a USB CDROM drive, virtual media CDROM, and virtual media floppy, both of which use USB emulation. I assumed that if I tried, say, a Windows CD, it would just work because that's usually Supermicro's target market.

What Supermicro box is having USB booting problems?

Its a rather new X7DWT motherboard (Intel 5400 chipset, Xeon CPU)

Good luck with getting your USB drives back :-)

- Andrew