Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 03:01:48PM -0600, Dan Allen wrote:
On 3 Sep 2008, at 1:53 PM, Guido Falsi wrote:

If you just want na instant workstation, why you just don't try Freesbie or something like that?
Because I want something from the source -- from the main team -- and not something downstream.

If I install FreeBSD on a PC I expect this installation to live there for some years. I can spend some hours/days installing and configuring what I really need. At least this is the way I see it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
I too spend the time. I am thinking that for other people to want to use FreeBSD they want something other than a command prompt. They at least want a web browser out of the box.

I haven't finished reading the thread yet, but your assumption is
ignorant.  Why do you think FreeBSD is intended solely for desktop
usage?  It's not.

I, for one, **only want a command prompt** out of the box.  I **do not**
want Xorg or any X-related garbage on my servers.

I fully agree with this last statement. I choose freebsd for many reasons, and this is one of those, I tried a few linux distributions, and even slackware installs too much garbage if you're not looking closely at it.

And n the way to providing a useful desktop system out of the box, I think no one can choose arbitrarily what to include and what not. Most people would find WM+FF[23] too little, some other would want some minimal gnome/kde, some others full blown gnome/kde (or other des for example) who's bound to choose?

FreeBSD has always made a choice to be just an os, and a server oriented one. There are downstream distributions bundling full blown systems, and, as stated by others, the devel team has no time to spare, I think it should concentrate on that, and leave the desktop work to others.

--
Guido Falsi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>