Bartosz Stec wrote:
Chih Liang pisze:
Dear all,

I've tried to upgrade my FreeBSD server from 6.3-RELEASE to 7.0-RELEASE, but it is failed to boot after make kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC.
I didn't modify any file at /usr/src/sys/i386/conf, it was all default.
After done make kernel and reboot, system stop at:

   Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
   ad0: 38166MB <Seagate ST340016A 3.75> at ata0-master UDMA100

I can't boot in single mode, but I can boot in safe mode, and it showed:

   Manual root filesystem specification:
   eg. ufs:da0s1a
   ? List valid disk boot devices
   <empty line> Abort manual input

I type "?" for list, but it only show acd0 and fdc0, "ufs:ad0s1a" or "ufs:/dev/ad0s1a" are not working

I can boot with /boot/kernel.old now (6.3-RELEASE), I rebuilt kernel again and again, but still not work. I check the difference between old GENERIC on 6.3-RELEASE and new GENERIC on 7.0-RELEASE, it has not difference besides new add in 7.0-RELEASE.

Is any one can help me? I don't want to reinstall...because I don't have install cd...

And sorry for my poor English, thank you for reading!

Regards,
Chih Liang
Did you make buildworld before buildkernel? If not, boot kernel.old ane follow these rules:

1. csup 7-stable sources (just to be sure)
2. rm -fR /usr/obj (just to be sure again)
3. make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
4. make installkernel
5. reboot in single user mode
6. mergemaster -p
7. make installworld
8. mergemaster
9. make delete-old
10. make delete-old-libs

Good luck!

Yes I did.
I tried to update source to 7.1, but it failed with the same problem, then I thought it is the bug at -STABLE. And I remove entire /usr/src and /usr/obj and update source to 7.0 again, but still failed when I boot after make buildworld and make kernel.
Thanks!